Tonight, I share a few of the sights and sounds that bring great joy this holiday season, including:
|An Ornament Made by Mom (1987)|
- our neighborhood's holiday lights... which range from the professionally-installed, perfectly-aligned display at one neighbors' house to the kid-inspired, totally-mismatched decorations next door. I love them both equally.
- friends' voices. By the end of the week, I will have breakfasted or lunched with four friends -- four good friends who always make me laugh.
- the smile-inducing, makes-you-happy-to-be-alive movie Sing. How creative, how fun, how heartwarming!
- Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song, Josh Groban's Noel, Judy Garland's Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Barbra Streisand's Ave Maria.
- sweetly-decorated, too-yummy-to-eat-just-one iced cut-out cookies.
- Mom's handmade ceramic decorations, which include a gorgeous Nativity and a whimsical mouse Christmas tree.
- all-time-favorite holiday specials, including The Grinch, Charlie Brown, Frosty, Remember the Night, The Shop Around the Corner, It's a Wonderful Life... and relative newcomer Shrek the Halls.
- holiday cards with joyful sentiments from crafty friends and smiling faces from family members.
- our tree-ful of special ornaments, which bring to mind a lifetime of memories.
- the serenity of curling up under an afghan while reading a good book amidst twinkling tree lights and softly-playing carols.
Here's wishing you a week filled with your favorite holiday sights and sounds.