Welcome to Chapter Three

Welcome to Chapter Three: Taking Life One Page at a Time -- a space to blog about those things that keep this retired gal from getting into ...

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Thankful Thursday

Hi, everyone! Tonight, I'm thankful for movie musicals. It seems I've seen my fair share of them these past two weeks.
  • My musical watching trifecta started with a viewing of La La Land at our local multiplex. I really liked it a lot. The chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone is great -- I was especially moved by her performance -- and the opening number is wonderful. What I loved the most was the movie's examination of choices and sacrifices we make during the age-old struggle between career versus relationship. As far as musicals go, the dancing wasn't anywhere close to Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire... and there really aren't show-stopping, signature songs. But, for me, it was a movie that's far greater than the sum of its parts. It's definitely a movie that deserves a second viewing.... on a big screen... in  dark theater... with a tub of popcorn.  :)
Lionsgate
  • Next up was the TCM Fathom Event screening of Singin' in the Rain. Last night was the second time I've seen this in a theater, and probably the tenth time I've seen it altogether. Two words: "Movie Magic"... which is my highest movie compliment. I just adore the dancing. And, viewing it with an audience reminded me of just how funny it is. Pure perfection.
Metro-Goldwyn Mayer
  • Then, after returning home, I flipped over to TCM and found the director of La La Land sitting in as this month's Guest Programmer. I tuned in just in time to see the last hour of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. When I first saw this musical a few years ago, I was taken by its beauty and the gorgeous score. It was so interesting to hear Damien Chazelle dub this musical as the "greatest movie ever made". It was also quite interesting to see how it influenced his artistic vision in La La Land.
20th Century Fox

Until next time. See you at the movies... or from the menopause room.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I have never really been into musicals unless it was Disney related but I do like to watch the dance scenes!

    ReplyDelete