Welcome to Chapter Three

Welcome to Chapter Three: Taking Life One Page at a Time -- a space to blog about those things that keep this retired gal from getting into ...

Sunday, April 9, 2017

It's a Decoration!... a Jean Pocket!... a Diaper?

Hi, everyone! Hope it's been a great weekend.

Nephew's Birthday Card: Take One

So, a funny thing happened on the way to making my soon-to-be-seventeen nephew's birthday card.

When showing the card to hubby, he asked what the focal element was supposed to be. When I responded with a jean pocket, he response was, "Really? It looks like a diaper to me."

And, darn if he wasn't right. So, back to the drawing board...

The good news? I have a perfect card to share at Darnell's Boo-Boo (and NBUS) Blog Hop. LOL  The best news? Hubby told me this before I mailed my nephew's card. WHEW!!!


Nephew's Birthday Card: Take Two

The inspiration for my card was the current Sketch Saturday sketch. I thought I'd be cute swapping out the circle element with that now infamous jean pocket. So, I went the more traditional route this second time... which meant I actually followed the sketch more closely.

For the bottom horizontal strips, I started with the blue-faux-stitched dp strips. I then added a dark blue piece between these. Finally, I added narrow brown strips to provide some much needed contrast.

All in all, I think I've created an okay teen boy card.



Stampin' Up! crumb cake; Authentique original dp
Simon Says you matter sentiment, heat embossed with Versamark and SSS copper powder
SU stitched circle dies; Paper Smooches stitched die
SU owl builder (for small circles) and itty bitty banner punches
edges inked in SU tip top taupe
adhesives: Scotch ATG; Zots glue dots; foam backing

Since this is a birthday card, I'm also sharing it at the Simon Says Happy Birthday Challenge -- in celebration of the Simon Says Wednesday Challenge's 8th birthday.  :)


That's it for tonight. Have a great weekend. As always, thanks for stopping and happy scrappin'!

6 comments:

  1. Your post made me chuckle, we can get very tunnel visioned and leave it to a spouse to call it like it is. I love both cards and agree, you have created a perfect teen male card and did such a wonderful job with the sketch! Thanks for joining us this week at Sketch Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab card for your nephew and a great take on our sketch!
    Thanks for taking up the challenge at SKETCH SATURDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A diaper???? I dunno. I'm not seeing it, but I trust hubby cuz things can look different IRL and I do so love how you changed up your card, Sybrina! For one thing, it really makes that cool denim background stand out! Now the circle greeting looks like an awesome badge on a jacket!! Aren't denim jackets coming back? Let's start that rumor, lol! Thank you for playing again!! Mwah! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is too funny! I'm still laughing and absolutely amazed that you can ask your hubby about "focal" points. He's definitely a keeper! Your nephew will love your card, as I do...diaper or pocket! Hugs, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, great save on the "diaper" card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello! a super fun card! I am so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    blog-paperie blooms
    ig-2klines

    sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

    ReplyDelete